Saturday, May 1, 2010

Busy Week......

.....and a sad one too.  My mother-in-law passed away on Monday night, peacefully after a long illness.  Until a few days prior we still thought she may regain her health somewhat, however this was not to be and her time had come.  She spent her final few days peaceful and content, enjoying her many visitors and phone conversations with loved ones and friends.  It was such a blessing to see her reconciled to her next big adventure and satisfied with her life here.  Goodbye and Blessed Be Doreen!


Today I have just finished making my third emulsified body lotion in time for Mothers Day and I love this one!  Each one has been different, with a different blend of oils and other ingredients.  Each one has been targeted for a different result too.  My first was a nourishing light lotion for dry/mature skin.  My second was a balancing cream for all skin types and especially for oily skin.  My third is a light lotion, again for all skin types, aimed at value for money.  I am in love with each of them and looking forward to my next formulation *smile*


If you are intrigue with the idea of creating your own lotions and creams I can highly recommend two websites for you.  The first is the recipe formulary of one of my favourite suppliers - Aussie Soap Supplies (click the link to the left of this blog).  The second is Point of Interest, an extremely helpful and interesting blog created by Susan Barclay-Nichols (link in my Blog List on the left as well).


My next creation will be a cream incorporating boths goats milk and colloidal oatmeal (oat flour) and left unscented.  My youngest nephew suffers a great deal with eczema and so far the only two things that help sooth his skin are shea butter and oats.  A cream tailored around his skin sensitivities is already buzzing around in my mind!


Take care and to all you Mums (or Moms) out there - have a wonderful Mothers Day!


Tanya

11 comments:

krissy said...

I'm so sorry to hear of the passing of your MIL Tanya, but the comfort comes in that she is no longer suffering anymore and is at peace. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and your family.


Your creams sound wonderful !!!! I'm so glad your enjoying the knowledge on making them. It's an endless list of possibilities on what you can make. And when your helping others, it's a feeling that is indescribable.

Holly said...

I'm sorry to hear about your mother-in-law as well. It sounds like her last days were so full as she was surrounded by family and friends. Hugs to you and your whole family.

Your creams sound awesome! I wish I liked making creams but I really am ok with the fact that I don't. I love to shop for them though!

Happy Mothers Day to you Tanya!

Edith said...

Tanya..So sorry to hear about your mother in law..hugs to you x

Topcat said...

Thank you ladies :)

I know Kris and I have you to thank mostly for starting me off in lotions with your awesome instructions and encouragement!

Holly - you make so much lovely stuff including your wonderful soaps, so always focus on what you are good at :)

Jennifer Young said...

Hi there, just discovered your blog and it looks great. Very sorry to hear about your mother in law passing away. I just lost my grandmother and it hit me harder than expected. Thank you for the tips on creams. I have attempted and attempted but the creams I have tried with borax are okay but slightly greasy... and I tried one or 2 with emulsifying wax which turned out too light and fluffy, they actually settled into mousse... so I am going to try the sources you mention. Thank you. xo Jen

Topcat said...

Thank you Jen! :)

A Life Deliberate Soap Co. Blog said...

Oh Tanya, so sorry to hear of your MILs passing.
Hugs and prayers...

Topcat said...

Thanks so much Lori :)

Amy@10th Ave. said...

I missed this posting, but I'd like to add my condolences. Hugs to the whole family!

Topcat said...

Oh Amy, thank you :)

Anne-Marie said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

(for what it's worth, the new batch of soap you've got planned sounds incredible)